10.19.2007

what is love, baby don't hurt me

Choir camp recap! In case it turns out sounding bland, and you can't tell whether I had a good time or not, I did! It was such an awesome time. It might have beat band camp!

When we got to our room the first night, I found out that I could swing on the door by stepping on the door knob, and that just basically started the Asian stereotypes. As if they weren't doing that already. By the way, all those comments were so hilarious. We discovered a newfound love for tetherball, and spent so, so much time playing! I got owned, even though I had my karate war cries and karate chops. We had our huge group activity, and that was ok. When our group was playing Red Rover, one of the girls ate the pavement and that ended every other group's chance of playing. But it was so funny.

That night we all sat on Bronwyn and Sheila's beds, and talked for a couple hours. Basically nobody had a good night's sleep that night. I was having a dream about finding toonies and keeping them away from Jocelyne, Leslie, Cailey, and somebody else, and walls being renovated, and right when I thought that the floor was about to fall below me, Jocelyne pulled my sleeping bag (she denies this) trying to get down from her bunk bed. Waking up at 6:45 was harsh.

During activities we first went through the bungee cage. Cailey got through in 11 seconds, and I think that's a record. I only managed 17 seconds. After that, we played dodgeball, and our team won twice before losing, and we went off to play ultimate frisbee. I hit Jocelyne in the lip with the frisbee, and caused her lip to swell, but after that we told everyone that I hit her with a nun chuck. We were winning, too. After that we played tether ball, which was ridiculously fun. Cailey lost to Mrs. Digel, and I won to Mr. Paddock. Man, I wish those were recorded!

We played soccer after, and surprisingly I didn't do too bad in goal. The grass was really slippery and I ended up slipping a lot. I think that's why my bum muscles are so sore. Our team got owned. The clinic was really, really long. I'm pretty sure after lunch we played more tether ball. I almost fell asleep during full rehearsal, even though the guest conductor was interesting. During our quiet time, instead of sleeping, I played ultimate frisbee with Cailey, Megan, Mikki, Cole, and Gavin, and it was so much fun. Playing "Piggy in the Middle" with Megan in the middle for the majority of the time was even more fun. Especially when she wasn't in the middle, and we'd throw it to her just so she wouldn't catch it and she'd have to go back in the middle. My hands are bruised from blocking frisbees and hitting tether balls.

During dinner my whole table laid on the Asian stereotypes. "Is the fact that you don't have peripheral vision the reason why your country doesn't have a hockey team?" We laughed so hard. After dinner was more tetherball (!!) with Gavin, Elliot, and Bronwyn. I lost every time. I climbed a tree and when I was going back down, and I made it to the ground before falling down. I tried to throw the frisbee between two trees and ended up hitting the biggest one. We did karaoke for our activity that night, and everyone sang along to I Will Survive, Mambo No. 5, along others. The machine stopped working when it was my group's turn, it was depressing. We ended up having a dance party, and what a sweaty, awesome dance party that was. We all sang to Queen.

When we went back to our cabin, Gavin and Cole came by to pop some popcorn. I tried to ninja kick the microwave door button, but my leg wasn't long enough so I ended up wiping out. The popcorn didn't pop enough, and so they put it in a second time. Megan walked from the bathroom to our room with just a towel on, and Gavin got busted for taking a look. I tried ninja kicking the microwave door button again, this time by launching myself on the counter and then kicking. I hit the button, but it didn't click enough so I wiped out again. I got angry at the microwave so I punched the button until the door opened. It ripped some skin off of my pinky knuckle.

I slept between Hayley and Bronwyn that night, and we talked again until only 12:30. We kept almost going to sleep, and then someone would say something and Bronwyn would break out into her super cool laugh, and that would get us fired up again. I don't feel like I actually got much sleep last night. When I was about to fall asleep, I started to dream that I was playing ultimate frisbee, and when I was trying to catch the frisbee, my arm totally snapped back and hit Bronwyn. She was sleeping, though. At first I was fine, and on Bronwyn's bed, but eventually Bronwyn started inching towards me, and I ended up on the wooden part between the two beds. And then Hayley got really close too. I think I was waiting for 7:15 to come just so I could get up for a reason.

We packed, and then Cailey and I played tetherball (!!!). I lost five rounds in a row. After that, we joined everyone else, and eventually our conversation led to the junior highs we attended, to how I went to Langevin (and nobody knows where that is), to how everyone in my class was Asian (I think I said something along the lines of "if you were WHITE, you were made fun of!"), which eventually led to Asian tourists and how they always make the peace sign when they take pictures. And after that, basically every picture we took we did the "ASIAN POSE!" Except Leslie, who didn't approve. Fifteen different people did the Asian pose in my pictures. Even Mr. Waters.

On the bus ride home, there were a bunch of us who "didn't want to sing, we want to sleep!" But we all got the back, and we ALL sang any song we knew the words to. We were very, very loud. Camp Chestemere, however, isn't that far out from Calgary, so we didn't sing for as long as Jocelyne, Bronwyn, and Sheila did the ride home from band camp.

Man I loved choir camp!

No comments: