7.22.2008

there's just no one who gets me like you do

My friend Jacqui got back from Chicago two days ago. I have known her technically since preschool, but we never actually became friends until we were in grade four. We've been friends ever since, though. Actually, there's six of us who have been pretty close, despite the many frayed and patched parts of our relationships with each other.

So we went out for dinner last night. It was supposed to be all six of us, but then one had to work, and the other one just couldn't make it. After dinner, we ended up at my one friend's house, after getting gas and buying lots of icecream at Superstore. We played many, many rounds of Boggle, and then left to pick up the friend who was working. We then baked white chocolate brownies and ate them with the icecream, which tasted SO good. I would have had so many more but I simply was too full.

I never really see these friends until Jacqui comes back for winter or summer break, because they all live in the other half of the city, and frankly I can't be bothered to actually hang out with them because now that I realize it, we're just all so different. The fact that we're all friends is only because we went to a tiny junior high school, and the program we were all in was even smaller. It's all chance that we're friends; if we were in any other junior high, like SPB or Branton, I doubt we would all be friends. But here we are, eight years later, still looking back on all the good times that we had. Because we did have good times. I love them all with all my heart, but I don't know. It's just an odd relationship. Today Gavin remarked on the fact that we must not be really good friends if we don't ever actually commit to hanging out, or catching up, and I admit that may be true. But we spent six years - a large part of our lives - being friends, spending every single school day with each other, growing up with each other. To be honest, I don't mind the large gaps we've created, because when we do all hang out again, it's like if we've all built our lives out of dams, and we're just releasing all the water. And it's really fun talking about boyfriends and possible relationships and past relationships and just being excited about being around each other again.

listening to: mushaboom - feist

No comments: