6.29.2008

all that i could think was "please don't blow this"

So I haven't really talked much at all about Sled Island, so here it is in a nutshell! All in all, it was amazing, and I think there's still some stuff going on tomorrow, but I'll be working unfortunately so today will be the end of this super festival for me. Anyways;

Tuesday
Poster show at Circa Showroom: so I got Megan to come with me to this, because really, who wants to go to a show alone? We got there a bit late because the bus took forever to come, and we had no idea where the Circa gallery was since it was discreetly in the back. The posters there were lovely, but I didn't bring any cash with me, so unfortunately we didn't buy any of them. Megan wanted to go home early because they had just gotten home from backpacking that day, but after we sat down to listen to Honeybear, we just got swept away. His voice is so dreamy. It's just so laid back and it swoops up and down so effortlessly. Knots played, and he had a really great voice too, but I only actually liked one of his songs. After him was Indiensoci, or Raphaelle. Personally, I like her a lot more in The Neighbourhood Council, but even she admitted that her set wasn't up to her standards. I really liked her looping, it was reminiscent of Final Fantasy. It was just very busy music, that's all. Throughout the sets, more and more people eventually came to look at the posters and have a beer, so it got really loud. Thankfully, when it was Kris Ellestad's turn to play, he asked us all to go listen to him outside. I must say, each time I listen to Kris Ellestad, I love his music more and more. The way he sings is so captivating.

Wednesday
Kris Ellestad, Woodpigeon, and Grizzly Bear at Central United Church: I had been looking forward to this show for a while. I ran into Rebecca while waiting in line, so I sat with her, and eventually Heather and Michael met up with us. The acoustics in the church and the sound was perfect, and so when Kris Ellestad started, his voice cut into the air and it was like a massage for my brain. He ended his set with another rendition of The Secret, with all of the members of Woodpigeon adding their instumental touches and blowing my mind. After that set, Woodpigeon played. I just have to say, I love Woodpigeon. I've listened to their songs from Songbook and Sketchbook over and over again. I believe they played all new songs, and it was really, really good. Their harmonies, and piano, and violin, and just everything mixed together created such a perfect sound. Grizzly Bear ended the night, and holy crap. I was kind of into Grizzly Bear, but I hadn't really listened to them that much. I am a sucker for harmonies, and that's what Grizzly Bear is all about. I especially loved Marla, it was just so perfect in that setting. Church concerts are just so great.

Thursday
Portico, Young and Sexy, Octoberman, and Chad VanGaalen at the Telus World of Science: This show I went to alone because I couldn't find anyone to go with me. And I was late, because I hung out with Gavin beforehand. I got in right as Portico finished their set. Apparently Octoberman got lost, so Young and Sexy played in their place. They were good, with girl-boy harmonies and stuff, but it sounded a bit ordinary. Octoberman played after them, and they were quite good. A bit tired, but still. Chad the man played last. I only knew three or four of the songs he played, and only one was off of an album (Mini TVs). It was still so good, though. A couple times he messed up, and would stop to apologize, or explain why, and it just made him so much more endearing. His animations playing behind him were so cool too. I love his stories and his voice. I think the best song that night was either Willow Tree or Molten Light, both of them in which Matt Flagel plays the accordion. They were so eerily beautiful.

Friday
Mainstage at Mewata Field: So I volunteered this day, so couldn't really listen to the music. I paid attention to it during The Wet Secrets, though. They sounded pretty sweet from where I was. After I got really hungry, I took a forty minute break and watched Broken West and Portastatic. I didn't really listen very carefully, though. After my shift ended, my sister and I watched Yo La Tengo for fifteen minutes before booking it to the Martha Cohen theatre. Mike, Kirstin and I left that show to go back to the main stage. We caught the last couple songs by Tegan and Sara. One of them was Living Room, which is the one song by them I'm like HOLY CRAP YES! And I did feel like that, it was impressive. But the main reason we booked it (or at least, my main reason) was to catch Broken Social Scene. Holy crap I love those guys. And when I say guys, I mean that no female vocalists were at the show. Even though that would have made it so much more amazing, they were still really great. They played some Broken Social Scene songs (KC Accidental, Fire Eye'd Boy, Cause = Time, Ibi Dreams of Pavement), some Kevin Drew songs (Farewell To The Pressure Kids, F--ked Up Kid, Frightening Lives), and one Brendan Canning song (Churches Under The Stairs). Ibi was so great, it was loud and just .. wow. I love them.
The Neighbourhood Council, BBQ, Azeda Booth, and Deerhunter at the Martha Cohen Theatre: The Neighbourhood Council was one of the bands I really wanted to see. Their live show is always so amazing, and I listen to their tracks nonstop. So when they played in the Theatre, it was perfect because it just held their sound so well. They are such a cohesive group, they are always together. It's amazing to watch Austin and Taylor both play the drums, because they hit exactly at the right time, their rim shots and crashes synchronized. Marlin was so good to listen to because it's just such an awesome song. One of their newer songs they played I love too. At the end everyone requested one last song ("play that first one off your album!"), and after some persuasion, they picked up their instruments and nailed it. They hit everything so well, and we all gave them a standing ovation because they deserved it. I didn't stick around for BBQ or Azeda Booth, but I came back to listen to some of Deerhunter. Their lead singer is hilarious; the bassist is too. The ending of their last song (Strange Lights) was the longest and most epic ending I've ever heard. It went on for probably twenty minutes, it was noisy and loud and just crazy. The bassist apparently didn't have to play anything, so he threw down his guitar and fooled around on the stage, then left, then came back and just hung around. I think it could have ended a lot earlier, but it was just really funny to watch. I'm going to have to check out more of their music.

Saturday
Mainstage at Mewata Field: I had to work today, so I didn't manage to get to the stage until quarter past seven. Luckily, of Montreal was still playing, so I got to listen to about half of their set. That half was spectacular, it was quite the show, with guys dancing around in animal masks, and fake wrestling matches, and shooting confetti around. of Montreal sounded top notch too. I love their harmonies. Their last song was Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse, which I was so glad I didn't miss because it's my favourite song by them. It was so good, so fun to dance to. I wasn't too impressed by Wire, or Mogwai, but The Dodos were SO. GREAT. They are two guys, one who plays guitar, and does lead vocals (and plays a bit of trombone), and one who drums. There was also another guy who popped up in the middle to play the toy piano and the garbage can. Their music is so exciting! And I love the looping. I'm jealous of my sister, who gets to see them again at the Legion .. probably right now!

But anyways, yeah! That was Sled Island for me, and if you didn't go to anything, then I just have to ask .. WHY??? I can't wait for it to happen next year already!

listening to: pacific theme - broken social scene

No comments: